Friday, January 22, 2010

"They grip down and begin to awaken" - Poetry from poetry

Last night at Writing group we read a poem "Spring and All" by William Carlos Williams. We underlined particular words and phrases that hit us. The last line was what called me: "they grip down and begin to awaken". The poem was about Spring and the earth and flowers coming to life. What came to me was something about the Haiti situation. Interesting how a phrase can stimulate something totally different.


 “They grip down and begin to awaken”


Ground trembling, walls shattering,
 falling, screams of death, dust, blackened sky
surrounding, enveloping, they gasp, struggle for freedom,
 move, thirst, breath, search for reasons, family, the sky,
 the streets, a sense of direction, but the chaos continues,
 more movement, upheaval, no order but alive they look at
 their lives, wonder at being chosen, resort to instincts,
search, clutch, grab what is left, pulled back to their instincts
 they hunker down, protect, eyes scan, urgent, aware
of needs, their view widens to survival, senses start to
form new directions, new objectives, new cares,
 new answer, new lives, new connections,
new ethics, new protections and
new dreams


There were four of us and each developed a different idea. That is what makes the group great; stimulating our minds and then giving us the freedom and confidence to go in whatever direction that takes us.

2 comments:

  1. Bob, this is great. It feels like something different from you. I even like the way it looks visually, like an egg. Don't know if you meant hunker down instead of honker? Might I suggest leaving out things like "but the", the "but" in but alive, the "their" in pulled back to their instincts; some of the phrases are short and fast and others are slower because one word makes them so. I like this piece. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM KAREN:

    Bob: I did the same assignment as above. I grabbed a sentence in the first paragraph of the poem. Here's what I came up with on first pass:

    Under the surge of the blue mottled clouds
    I drive
    wishing for a car derived from hedonism
    blatantly topless for all to see
    so that the moist cold air would flap through
    my hair cuticles
    bathing my scalp with
    the deliciousness of a warm winter’s day.

    That I could drive/survive on cruise control
    allowing me to occasionally peruse
    the contents of my back seat;
    ancient unread magazines, dented coffee carriers
    branded with roadside gas station names
    flipped lids finally lost forever,
    a lone McDonalds French fry,
    pennies from the heaven that is
    the hole in my beat denim jacket,
    soiled napkins and filthy rags,
    Chris Isaac’s Heart Shaped World
    encased in a broken plastic square
    scratched for eternity,
    a bottle of motor oil to tweak the squeak
    under my hood.

    Emissions from my radio fleeing the confines
    of this air space
    as they define the moments that fly by
    powering my grip through this life
    into the next.

    ReplyDelete