Monday, January 18, 2010

The Restaurant - Fast Fiction

Well, earlier I spoke of my favorite "Free Write". It is real short, only 92 words, but I feel it caught a certain feeling in that short time. Anyway I loved the way it came out. Enjoy.

The Restaurant – (92 Words)

The restaurant is still, only subdued conversations, the occasional scrape of a fork or knife on a plate or spoon on a cup and the soft thud of the kitchen door as the waiters come and go, then the child starts to cry. Is it tired, ill, being asked to eat something it does not like, confused, bored, ignored? The crying crescendos to sobbing. A layer of irritation and expectation settles as all expect something should be done. Through the sobbing, a child’s voice: “I’m sorry” and then the wrenching sobs continue.


This is not the best picture for this story, but it does show a vulnerable small child (in this case me in 1934). I know this story is sort of melodramatic and trite, but I like it and had fun writing it. Think the next post will be a travel piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment