Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fast Fiction

So my "Getting Started" piece was fairly long, I'm going to try to keep these to 1000 words in the future. There was a time in our group when we tried to write "Fast Fiction". For us that meant trying to get a story or idea over in less than 500 words. I did three and one is below (I'm going to save my best one for later). Have you ever tried this? Why now give it a try? Sometimes what comes out is magical. Here is mine:

Good and Plenty – (174 words)

Linda studied the young girl slumped in the seat across the train aisle, her IPOD ear buds in place, staring straight ahead as she steadily ate her way through a box of Good and Plenty candies which she then dropped on the floor.

The conductor came and stood impatiently as the girl searched her bag for her ticket then looked up panicked to say, “I can’t find it.”

“Well you’ll have to find it, buy a new ticket or get off at the next station. I’ll be back.’

Linda took her time then leaned across the aisle and said, “You might check that box you dropped.”

The girl looked and it was there. Bright eyed, alert she looked at Linda, “Gee thanks. How did you know?”

“I was watching you and saw you put it there. Not a smart idea.”

The light dimmed in the girl’s eyes, she turned back, and sat slumped in her seat, staring straight forward, ear buds in her ears with her ticket clutched in her hand.

That's it. Sort of a low key picture of a train ride interactions on the train to NYC. Try one and let me know how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment