Thursday, January 21, 2010

South Africa - travel in rap

Another way to write travel was when I tried to write a rap song of a trip to South Africa.

SA Rap – ATOK (And That’s OK)
By DaddyB with apologies to BRabbit

“DJ play that shit”

(Heavy beat rap music starts)

(Say) Yo!
(Bend your knees, bob up and down)
(Say) Yo!
(Bend your knees, bob up and down)

(Pause – music continues)

Friends at the tennis club say I’m insane
To fly a full day in an airplane,
But I gotta see my daughter in SA
Got a granddaughter too growin’ every day.
So I step in the plane and what do you know
Soon I’m flyin’ away from the cold and the snow.

Soon I feel the plane comin’ down
Sure enough there’s the lights of Cape Town
There’s Brooke waitin’ nice with a smile
Makes the whole damn trip worthwhile.

We go to the house Gusti teach me about Legetti
I kinda think that I’m gonna get he
But Noncorrow and his musical abstraction
I’m just getting an allergic reaction.

Luci’s there with eyes bright and sassy
She’s grown a foot, likes pink, ain’t that fancy
She’s got this deck of cards, fairies, animals and plants
She brings it out at every chance.
Her favorite fairy she’s ridin’ on a snail
If you try to get her, you’re goin’ to fail
She’ll hide, grab it, take it on the sly
You may fool her once but there’s no second try.

Went to Life festival to hear Gusti’s band
We got in didn’t spend a Rand
Everythin’ was there for the life holistic
Card readers, healers, angels and mystics
The crowd listened to sounds and words
To Gusti’s drum beats and glottal chords
Their Diggery Do sounded weird and looked phallic
The Temptress held the Do and chanted in Greek
Everything everyone seemed to like
Next time we’ll find another mike.


Brooke planned adventures, foot massage and Kahuna
Drums at night and her kinesthesiologist at noona
Needed disappointments I’d kept on the shelf
My major ones were all with myself
So he added a montra for me to say
“And that’s OK” Yo! “And that’s OK”

We went to Pater Noster, it’s way up North
Beautiful and by the water so Brooke bought of course
Now the town board is acting like the devil
The architects workin’ to keep them on the level
The builder’s gone bankrupt and upped the price
So their lookin’ for someone else who’ll do it nice

Brooke rents us a real nice home away from home
White on the outside and named Shalom.
We walk the beach and fly a kite
Winds howling keep the strings tight
It’s wonderful being by the sea
Specially with the good company.

Yo! Hey!
ATOK!
Yo! Hey!
ATOK!

Back in CT get to see Brooke shoot
Model pregnant and looks real cute
Enjoy the action and Olga’s make-up,
But soon its time for the Luci pick up.

We drive to the airport in plenty of time
Hugs and goodbyes and I’m standin’ in line.
I get a shoeshine and time goes fast
Somehow they give me a seat in Business Class

The airline got boxes they serve the food in
The pilots fuckin’ with the oxygen.
They never tell you when you fly so high
How come it makes your mouth so dry.
I’m settling in when what do I see
But on top of the list is the “Incredibles” movie
Somethin’ about the flight this way
Takes forever to get to the USA.

We know that Brooke’s been depressed
Whole bunch of things had her stressed
Hope that the time that we spent
The memories of all the incidents
Will come up in her head for a while
Let her know she’s loved and make her smile!

Yo! Hey!
ATOK!

Yo! Hey!
ATOK!

DaddyB sendin’ LOVE from 845

I had just seen Eminem's movie "8 Mile" and was adicted to the new venue. Enjoyed doing this on the airplane coming home and by family's reaction. Try it.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are so vivid and amazing.
    I had a great time reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it, Bob, you'll try anything! Hearing about your adventures sounds neat no matter how you write it.

    How the heck do I select a profile? It must be too easy for this geek. Karen

    ReplyDelete