Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rowing poem

This was a piece I did after a trip where I joined some kayakers off the north shore of Long Island. It was something to give the feeling of the wonderful day on the water.

From the shore, mirror smooth water
lies velvet flat in the early day.
Settling my scull down sends a ripple
expanding concentrically across the bay.

It is early so the air is cool and clear, noises
dampened by the remoteness of this space
I ease the riggers and oars down,
slide the seat back and settle myself in place.

Sandals off, feet secured now I move
for balance with oars at rest on the water
I breathe the pure air; relax my hands,
arms, my mind clears of all other matter.

It is time to start, knees bent, arms straight,
the oar blades twisted ready for a first bite
Legs straightening I feel the water resist,
the movement starts, balance to keep the pull right.

Now back for the second stroke, less resistance,
the boat rising on a plane, increases speed
Glassy water below, images sliding by,
sand, shells, the cool green of seaweed.

The continuous flow, body, oars, scull,
soft water sounds make a water dance
Concentration focused on the purity of the motion ending in an encompassing trance.

Glancing over my shoulder, I see a solitary
light house, cormorants balancing on a fishing weir
The flat blue of the water stretches
on for a mile, the view open, clear.

But I am with friends in their kayaks
who are moving behind at a slower pace
Drawn back, I am now aware of their image,
bright color, water bottle, paddle, a face.

Now we move as a body, past the weir,
the lighthouse, into the Sound,
Enjoying the massage of the waves,
conversation, letting nature surround.

We pull off the water after a while,
breaking the trance when we touch the beach
Comfortable on the sand we eat our lunch
with the water still within our reach.

Water is in my genes.
When I ride with it, it fills my soul
I move with it, I respect its strength,
power, the alignment is whole.


It was a beautiful day and this brings back good memories. Keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment